Let's pray our way forward

Let's pray our way forward
Let the children come to me. Jesus

Monday, April 18, 2011

How will you prepare for Good Friday?

     This morning, the Monday of Holy Week, I was determined to start my day in the word, and not in a rush. I wanted to just spend some time with the Lord and lean into what this week would bring. It didn't start off so smoothly. Early the phone rang and Treva our secretary called to say she was sick. Yes, it was going to be a crazy day, but even so, I really wanted to dig into the word. So, in the front room pictured above in the parsonage, I love to sit where I can see out the big window. I sip a cup of coffee and get still. That is the perfect invitation for my little dog to squeeze in as close to me as possible, her favorite thing to do. How sweet that she loves to be so close. She is such a great comfort and companion for me. When I sit down to read my Bible, if the chair is wide enough to hold both of us, she is right to my side on my left leg, snuggled into her own little piece of heaven. The time was peaceful and rewarding. The rest of the day was a pretty fast pace.
   So Holy Week started for me with a determination to read the word and to take the time to try to absorb something wonderful for the day. I prayed for a friend having a shot in her eye this morning, and for two people having surgery today.  I read the lesson for tonight's Beth Moore Bible study that I would be attending, and the scripture on Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob actually brought tears to my eyes to watch chapter by chapter as God's plan unfolds. The day started on track, pointed towards the cross. We are in the last days of the week celebrating how God's master plan for our salvation unfolds.
   That's where we are this week.  A few minutes in the office brought an unexpected invitation from the local WATA station 1450AM. They called to ask me to come do the morning devotion. My reply was, "You want me to come right now?" No, tomorrow and the rest of the week. So I accepted and look forward to that opportunity. Of all the weeks of the year to get to tell the story of the resurrection and all it means to us, this is a tremendous opportunity for our church to have a voice to reach the lost in our community and to encourage the saved. We have a special service this Thursday night to celebrate Holy Communion at 7:00pm and we want to invite you to attend. God be with you as you observe a Holy Lent, and find your way sometime this week, all the way to the foot of the cross of the one who died in our place, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Please take a moment and forward this message to your friends. I hope Jesus is the most talked about subject in the whole world this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment