Let's pray our way forward

Let's pray our way forward
Let the children come to me. Jesus

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can you cut your computer off at night to think about spiritual things?

Many of you may have decided to take up a new practice or give up something for Lent. Realizing that most evenings I find myself working late on the computer, I decided for Lent to cut off my computer every night at 8:00pm. My hope was to use that time for a spiritual purpose instead of replacing it with more work. I haven't done too well with that part so far. It has only been a week and one day, and it feels like a huge change and limitation already. I had no idea how much I was going to miss it. I usually check emails at night when I come home. Now, if I don't check them before 8:00pm, it will be the next day before I can get to them. Last night, I found myself working on powerpoint for worship on Sunday with our power point person for the week in her home. After a delicous surprise bowl of homemade chicken stew for supper, and before I knew it, it was after 8:00pm. I didn't slam the computer shut and quit and rush the house before I turned into a pumpkin. I had worship stuff for this Sunday that I needed to work on that is special. Our confirmation class is being confirmed Sunday, and I had most of the pictures. We had to cancel confirmation class yesterday because of a threat of snow so that threw us a curve ball for the schedule yesterday. So yesterday my discipline was not that great, I fudged.  Wow, I was not expecting turning off the computer at night to be hard, but it is. It must be the right practice for me for Lent right now, and promises to bring me a challenge and the opportunity to seek the presence of the Lord. You can search for a new spiritual practice to adopt for this season of Lent, or you can also try giving up something. The point of a Lenten spiritual discipline is to allow God to use it in our lives for good, to draw us ever closer to the heart of God. I wish for you much discipline, the power to fight temptation, and the desire to observe a Holy Lent. God be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment