Let's pray our way forward

Let's pray our way forward
Let the children come to me. Jesus

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Deerfield UMC hopes to reach out to children

     Deerfield UMC just completed a week of a fabulous VBS using puppets and skits and music to reach the kids from our church and community. Our hope is to use this as a building block to start a weekday afterschool discipleship ministry with children one day a week during the school year. We are working out the details and hope to get that off the ground after school is back in session this fall. More details to come on this. During VBS, where might you see and experience God? I experienced God when I was sitting on the floor listening to a story and a child who needed a hug would come and climb into my lap and snuggle up to me while the story was being read. I saw God when a little one had pudding all over her face and down to her elbows and needed someone to help her get cleaned up and that was provided with a tender touch. I saw God when grown ups danced and sang with the children and we all laughed together around the story of Christ. I saw God using grown ups to make sandwiches to feed hungry children and enjoyed the conversation around the meal each night. Posting a fun picture of our event and we look forward to working more with the children to teach them more about how much Jesus loves them.
     I am almost done reading a great book called, "Heaven is for Real" by  Todd Burpo. I started it last night and could not put it down until I could not hold my eyes open. It has been a great read that I commend to you about a child's experience of Jesus Christ being made real in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment